Straightliners Championship Round 8 at East Kirkby was tightly fought as always even with the track moved to alleviate noise issues. Jimmy Fearn snr laying down a 1.50sec 60 foot on Saturday to alay any fears of the virgin startline also posting the fastest time of the weekend with a 9.20sec at 153mph to take FTD trophy home to Scotland. 

9.10 Class
Jimmy Fearn snr beat David Storrie in the first semi. Second semi was the BMW 1000 RRs of Wayne Bradley and Steve Howe. Split by 1/100th in qualifying Steve knew he had to be quick on the green to beat a seemingly off form Wayne. Unfortunately Steve,s green didn't materialise as he left with a red showing letting Wayne through to the final. Jimmy got the jump in the final and Wayne gave up in disgust with himself leaving Jimmy to dissappear into the distance. 

10.10 Class
Jimmy Fearn jnr, like dad, qualified in top spot on a BMW 1000 RR he shared with first timer Craig Whyte. The unfamiliar electronic gizmos were to become Jimmy,s down fall in the semi as him and his dad struggled to press the right buttons to turn off the traction control leaving Andrew Storrie, also sharing a bike, made it through to the final, Jimmy turning off early in disgust. Michael Austin, still suffering problems with the ZX12R, took the ZZR1400 to the final beating Richard Ward. The final was the battle of the big tourers Andrew taking the win as Michael,s tyre went up In smoke away from the line. 

11.10 Class
David Grundy again top qualified on his big Adventure Triumph and in first semi John Jefferson looked across at the 1/8th to see David just edge ahead to make the final. Phil Gilson was lucky to qualify having not had a run on his bike due to clutch problems. Darren Trowell sportingly gave Phil the use of his own Bandit, Phil posting a time good enough to make the top 4 with just 1 pass, a great effort from the talented Phil on an unfamiliar bike. He went on to the final beating Richard Ward who missed a gear. So David and Phil lined up in the final. Phil got the jump on Dave at the green but it appeared he may have thrown the advantage away as the rear tyre hazed but Phil hung on to get across the stripe first with an 11.48 to Dave,s 11.46 so that start was the crucial ingredient. 

12.10 Class
Stuart Grant again took the win on his 80s FZR 600

13.10 Class
Gavin Watson qualified in No1 spot on his Lambretta sprinter but young Suzuki apprentice of the year and first timer to drag racing, James Scott, riding Mitchell Betts Gilera 172 shone all day with a best time ever for Mitchells machine. James was chuffed to bits to make the final and didn't disgrace Gavin taking the win with a 14sec dead and James on 14.03 so close! 

Neil Pettitt took a bye to the final lining up with Russell Shea who had beaten Gavin Watson. Unfortunately Neil,s machine just bogged down at the start Russell grabbing the chance to take the victory. 

Top scooter
Eric Cope, on his 100+mph street legal Lambretta took on Richard Baker's methanol burning sprinter Eric going on to take the win with a 13.57sec at 93mph. 

Levi Baber once again top qualified on his Genspeed bike with Lewis Trow on his Stomp pit bike lining up against him after an unfortunate start line tumble from Joe. With a big discrepancy in times the clock was set with a delay for Levi reflecting the difference in their best qualifying times. In theory the two lads should cross the line at the same time. And so it turned out with a photo finish Lewis just crossing the line ahead of Levi by a whisker. 

Top bike
Phil Wood, after a night shift and long drive from North Wales on Sunday morning, put on a tyre smoking display for the full quarter to take the win. 

There was also a good turnout of NSA runners and I will post a separate report for that. As usual a great weekend thanks to all the Straightliners crew and helpers and the medical crews. 

Write up by Paul Cumpstone photo tanks to Dunk Rose